University of Toronto Mississauga
Sex, Gender and Work Soc 362
Critical Response 35%
Due in CLASS Feb. 28, 2014
For this assignment you are required to read ONE of the following articles and write a critical response. This assignment enables you to become familiar with the professional academic literature in the field of Sex, Gender and Work. Please choose from one of the following listed articles and write a critical response. You need to find an additional 3-4 articles/ academic sources which extend the research in this area.
Bobbbitt-Zeher, Donna. 2007. “The gender income gap and the role of education.” Sociology of Education 80 (1): 1-22.
Budig, Michelle and Paula England. 2001. “The wage penalty for motherhood,” American Sociological Review, 66: 204-25.
Demaiter, Erin I. and Tracey L. Adams. 2009. “Successful women’s experiences in IT organizations,” Canadian Journal of Sociology, 34 (1): 31-53.
Hultin, Mia. 2003. “Some take the glass escalator, some hit the glass ceiling? Career consequences of occupational segregration.” Work and Occupations, 30 (1): 30-61.
Huppatz, Kate. 2013. “Masculinised jobs, feminized jobs and men’s ‘gender capital’ experiences: Understanding occupational segregation in Australia.” Journal of Sociology, 49 (2-3): 291-308.
Rosenfeld, Rachel A. and Mark E. Van Buren. 1998. “Gender differences in supervisory authority: variation among advanced industrialized democracies,” Social Science Research, 27: 23-49.
Sayer, Liana C. 2005. “Gender, time and inequality: trends in women’s and men’s paid work, unpaid work and free time,” Social Forces, 84(1): 285-303.
Simpson, Ruth. 2004. “Masculinity at work: the experiences of men in female dominated occupations.” Work, Employment and Society, 18 (2): 349-368.
Your response should be about 6-7 pages maximum double spaced. You should include a short (less than one page) summary of the article in your own words. You should think about how/if the writing fosters an understanding about the gendered nature of labour participation. You may use the following guide to extend your thinking and develop your critical response (but do not limit yourself to it).
• Critique the evidence and argument you found in the article.
• Can you relate some of the material to things you have read or heard in class? Connect to the theoretical frameworks we have discussed…
• Find additional 3-4 articles which extend the research in the area. How does the article connect with/ challenge the additional sources you found? (Making Text-to-Text Connections)
• Common/re-occurring themes that emerge from the literature.
• Does the historical context in which the research is conducted impact the findings? What is going on in the larger social/historical context? (Making Text-to–World Connections)
• What are some of the insightful things that made sense?
• What are some of the disturbing or confusing aspects that you disagree with from your own experiences in the labour force? (Making Text-to-Self Connections)
• What are some thought provoking aspects which lead to further questions and research?
Please cite all references used and include a bibliography at the end of the paper.
You must include a cover page with the following information: full name, student number, title with reference to the article you have chosen, and date of submission.
• content mastery, understanding of the article
• depth of response, ability to reflect critically on the article and bring in outside literature (Making Text-to-Text connections)
• organization of response
• grammar and spelling; clarity of writing
Please refer to U of T writing web site: http://www.writing.utoronto.ca/home
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more