SOC 3330 Sociology of Health and Illness
Assignment 2: CONSTRUCT A DISEASE – THAT IS A SICKNESS
Please write a 1- 2 page paper for this assignment. The paper is due Friday, 2/14/2014, by 11PM. Follow normal expectations (pun intended) for a college paper:
Please, write full sentences. All papers have to be type-written, spell-checked, and proofread. The fond should be 12, line-spacing 1.5. You are expected to use an
appropriate format for citations and references, if applicable (ASA style – a brief outline of ASA style is posted on your Moodle). Students should retain a copy of
the paper. Please, put your name and the title of the course on the paper.
Evaluation Criteria (Total: 20 points):
1. Completion of assignment – answering conclusively all questions (12 points)
2. Concise and clear argumentation (4 points)
4. Format. Name, title of paper, date, spelling, proofreading, grammar, correct and complete references (if applicable). (4 points)
The topic of class this week is sickness and how society and people around you view and judge your illness.
For this assignment, just use your creativity, add some sociological imagination, and construct the next “new” and “big” biomedical disease that is clearly considered
a sickness in the U.S.!
This disease is a deviation from normal expectations or ability to function as expected in our society; a “disease” that disrupts normal functioning.
Keep in mind that what is considered normal is dependent on social and cultural context: what is required for normal functioning; what are the normal expectations in
regard to functioning; what are the standards of body functions, beauty, appearance, or abilities today in America?
Examples would be aging, internet illiteracy, fingers too large to handle smart phones, etc.
You can “create” a physical or mental disorder.
Be creative – this should be fun!
Please address the following questions (some of them are similar to assignment 1 and this is intended)
1. What is the name of the disease?
2. What are the symptoms associated with the disease?
3. What are the proposed causes of this disease?
4. How does this disease impact normal functioning? Can you work with this disease?
5. Who is afflicted with this disease? Are there populations who are more susceptible to getting this disease?
6. How widespread is this disease – what is the prevalence of the disease? Is the disease infectious?
7. What is the treatment for this disease? How effective is the treatment?
8. What preventative measure can be taken to avoid getting this disease?
9. How is this disease viewed in society? Is it a disease that only certain people get, maybe irresponsible people? Is having this disease somehow an issue of moral
10. Are there questions about how real this disease is – could someone ‘fake’ this disease?
11. Could this disease possible be a form of protest, some passive-aggressive response to oppression or conformity? Why?
12. What implications does this disease have for society?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more