The special populations assignment will be structured around a problem based (inquiry) learning process.
The million dollar inquiry question is:
How would your role as a person performing a health assessment differ or have to be adapted as it pertains to the actual assessment process and/or exercise
prescription for the following special population client?
Here is a basis of questions that should guide your inquiry and will be a basis for your blog and paper format:
1. Definition What is the condition/disease. Define or introduce the injury or condition. What causes the injury/illness (pathophysiology/overview), what are the
statistics (prevalence) on this illness/injury in the population? Is there a society or governing body for this condition/illness (do they have a logo/campaign?)
2. How is the condition diagnosed? (physical signs and symptoms, diagnostic tests, physical examination).
3. What are the functional consequences of this condition (how does it affect their mobility, function, ability to exercise, how does pain control function)? How would
this type of person differ when compared to a ‘normal’ client?
4. What are the medical and surgical treatments for this condition? Can it be cured/controlled with surgery? Can medicines be prescribed to help with the symptoms
(pharmacological therapies)? If so, please describe the medicines and how they would impact health assessment e.g. effect on heart rate, blood pressure, perceived
fatigue (if stimulants)?
5. What other personal effects may this condition have on an individual? e.g. psychological (depression, personality, social). Do clients with this condition receive
counseling or education on this conditi”.//”on?
6. What is the importance of exercise (exercise research) for this condition? What is the evidence to support how exercise helps with this condition (using at least 2
primary research articles)? Discuss the effects of both aerobic and resistance exercise on this population/condition (or other exercise modalities that are relevant
7. How would you change or modify exercise assessment techniques (modifications) to assess this individual for pre-participation/fitness? What special
considerations/equipment would you need to have?
8. What would your exercise prescription considerations be for this population (modifications to frequency/intensity/duration)?
Your blog should address all of the above questions, as appropriate, but your overall research question/hypothesis can be derived from any (or none) of the above
questions. Essentially, you all have a template but your research can take you in any direction as long as your thought process is documented, logical, justified and
leads to an identified need in the field.
Can you identify different procedures, assessment tests, tools such as criteria, grading scales and clinical tests for your client? Do they exist? If not, could you
devise one? What are the differences in exercise prescription for this population versus the ACSM general Health Related Fitness guidelines?
Idea: Can you start by visiting or contacting a professional or governing body that works with this population and for example, observe and/or interview them about how
their needs differ and what they need to help them in their job? Do the tools already exist, if so, what further needs are there in the field? Where is there a gap in
the literature or assessment tools/procedures?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more